When divorcing, dissolving your civil partnership or separating and you have a mortgage on a property, you need to decide what to do in the long term while keeping up the mortgage payments in the short term.


If you rent your home with your ex-partner, during separation you will have to decide whether one of you will carry on living there or if you can end the tenancy.


The Money Advice Service offers free, unbiased and independent information about your housing on separation. Find our more from The Money Advice Service


'Bedroom Tax'

From April 2013, new housing benefit rules mean you won't be able to get housing benefit to pay for all of your rent if your home has 'spare bedrooms'. This is being called the 'bedroom tax', but letters from the council may call it 'size limit rules', 'under-occupancy' or 'under-occupancy rules'. Find out more from Shelter